Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A Moment of Penitence

More from the most recent ICEL drafts -- Papabile asked about this one:
Priest: Brothers and sisters, let us acknowledge our sins,
that we may be ready to celebrate the sacred mysteries.

(Silence)


All: I confess to almighty God,
and to you my brothers and sisters,
that I have sinned greatly
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and what I have failed to do,
(striking their breast, they say)
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault.

(Then they continue)
Therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

Priest: May almighty God have mercy on us
and lead us, with our sins forgiven,
into eternal life.
-30-

3 Comments:

Blogger Disgusted in DC said...

Well, it looks like the rumor that Pope Benedict was going to restore to the Latin Missal the old prayers at the foot of the altar wern't true. Drat.

27/9/05 19:43  
Blogger Todd said...

This is essentially the form used when I visit Conception. It's chanted each evening at Compline.

If it were chanted in the parish, and especially if that period of silence were observed substantially, this Comme Le Prevoit kid approves.

27/9/05 22:10  
Blogger Disgusted in DC said...

"through my fault, through my own fault, through my own most grievous fault."

Some of the old Anglo-Catholic missals use this translation of the confiteor. In fact, it used to be said at some A-C parishes I regularly attended back in the 1980s. Probably this is where the PNCC got it from. Why it was translated in this way - and I kind of like it too - is a complete mystery to me. Probably a spike translator with a little too much flair.

28/9/05 11:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home