Monday, August 29, 2005

Theology 101

From the "Too Good to Resist" file, from a commentor over at Amy's:
Speaking of the title of Monsignor, before moving to eastern PA I had never encountered so many monsignors. In the 5 surrounding parishes there is at least one in each.
I guess I have to return to the basics of Eastern (Pennsylvania) Spirituality 101....

Any patristic scholar worth his salt could tell you that monsignors are God's way of telling the church "I love you and am with you always." Right? As we all know, this comes from apostolic times. The first bishops would only don the finest amaranth-red silk tunics -- and St. Peter would never be caught dead fishing without a stunning filigreed pectoral cross (suspended on the cord).

For the life of me, I'm still baffled as to how "good" Catholics can't intrinsically understand this. Then again, I guess it's just my luck of having had the best of hyper-clericalist catechetics.

-30-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home